a

Supreme Court Refuses To Entertain Netflix’s Plea In Bad Boy Billionaires Case

The Supreme court on Wednesday withdrew Netflix’s petition against an order passed by a court in Bihar, which contained the streaming platform from using Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s name in its web series titled Bad Boys Billionaires.

Advocate Mukul Rohatgi, who obliged for Netflix, told the top court that the trial was urgent since the series was programmed to be streamed on Wednesday.

The Supreme Court Bench, headed by Chief Justice of India SA Bobde, told Rohatgi that he should have approached the High Court for relief. “Doesn’t matter, this [Supreme Court] is not the forum,” Bobde said. “You should have gone to the High Court.”

Roy’s representative or advocate, on the other hand, said that the order to stop Netflix from using Roy’s name was given by a civil judge and an appeal against the same must be filed before a district judge.

Roy was detained in 2014 in a case involving Rs 24,000 crore procured from investors illegally. He was sent to the Tihar Jail in Delhi and got bail last year.

Rohatgi, meantime, told the bench that many petitions related to the program were pending in other courts and the top court should transfer the pleas to itself. Bobde said he would acknowledge his request.

Netflix has been selling its show as a docuseries which explores “the greed, fraud and corruption” that built up – and eventually brought down – India’s most notorious tycoons, including B Ramalinga Raju, Vijay Mallya, Roy, Mehul Choksi, and his nephew Nirav Modi.

Read our latest articles

Vi Dev

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *