Back in 2016, when Tim Cook unveiled the iPhone 7 in front of the world there was something unusual about the mobile. It was the first-ever phone to be launched without a 3.5-mm audio jack. And that’s when the birth of new technology or a new trend started to shape in. The Bluetooth earphone market started to offer a range of earphones with different functions and features at a different price range. During the launch of the iPhone 7, Apple also unveiled its very own true wireless stereo (TWS) earphones, the Apple Airpods.
But what is true wireless stereo (tws) earphones?
To start TWS is a short form for True Wireless Stereo. It would not be wrong to give credit to TWS for reinventing the Bluetooth technology. Now, you might be thinking that Bluetooth was already dropping the cables. So what more did the TWS technology bring to the table?
Of course, to understand this we have to dig a little more so that we know what TWS is and how it has revolutionized the wireless earphone industry.
So, one of the major differences anyone can see is the way TWS headsets and Bluetooth wireless headsets are engineered. The Bluetooth headsets in some way or the other were not completely wireless, they had some form of wire which connects both the sides of the headsets. And then you know the result. But, in the case of TWS headsets, there aren’t any wires that connect both the earpieces with each other.
This was the visible difference that all of us could see and differentiate a normal wireless earphone from a TWS earphone.
Now, let’s talk about the differential factor among the two, i.e the technology behind a Bluetooth powered earphone and a TWS earphone.
TWS is a unique technology that allows us to pair two audio devices via Bluetooth. In simple words, this means that the transmission happens separately, the L channel (left side of the earpiece) and the R channel (right side of the earpiece) are not dependent on each other. But, there is a catch in TWS technology. This revolutionizing tech has been applied to the field of Bluetooth earphones.
Like every product out there in the market, TWS earphones have some advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of TWS earphones-
- These are completely free from any kind of wired connectivity.
- As these are free of wires, the designs and form factor becomes one of the crucial factors. TWS powered earphones are getting compact, classy, trendy and elegant.
- Signal stability increases between a mobile and an earphone.
- Mostly, these earphones come with gesture control as default, which makes it easy for the users to control it.
- Generally, these devices come with a wireless charging case. Whenever the earphones are dying out of juice you can easily put the headset inside the charging case to charge. In comparison to its Bluetooth counterparts, you have to carry the charger cable and an adapter with you every time you want to charge it.
You have the option to use any one of the sides of the earpiece.
Disadvantages of TWS earphones-
- Battery life. Due to the compact form and limited internal circuit scale, the battery life ranges from 3 to 5 hours. But, each day the technology is evolving and some brands are coming with more power in their TWS headsets. So, this is something that is still developing.
- Also, due to the small form factor, the ability to prevent theft or finding a lost earpiece is always going to be tricky once it is out of range from the connected mobile. So, you have to be extra careful while using this.
- Actual noise reduction and latency rate will always be a concern while buying and considering any TWS headsets. However, as we have said before brands are redefining the tech and coming up against the shortcomings with flying colours.
These are some of the advantages and disadvantages that we could think of.
Comment and let us know if you are using a TWS earbuds or is planning to buy one?